Despite a very rainy start, volunteers for the Department of Transportation are collecting bicycle traffic data this week. From 7:30 – 9:30 am and 4 -6 pm, volunteers at 7 locations around town are noting the number and gender of cyclists as well as helmet use and direction of travel.
These counts verify:
- That there really are more people riding – up 50% in 3 years
- A greater percentage of women (35-40%) are riding which means we’re creating bike infrastructure that’s more comfortable for more to use
- Turning movements at intersections to verify safety of new improvements or determine need for better bike infrastructure
- The need for more bike parking at Penn Station
- (in some cases) where cyclists are choosing to ride on the sidewalk due to challenging road conditions
Even with the rain, there were still many out braving the deluge!