I’d like to thank Dan, Vanessa & the crew for having me on the show Tuesday. Live radio can be interesting, especially when you’re behind the mic, fielding calls and emails from a world of people that are passionate about getting more bikes off the road.
In between the live chaos, we had a chance to chat about how easy it would be for Dan to ride his bike to work. (He did ask the question “What would it take to bike commute?” on the air, but the answer did no justice) While he didn’t tell me what part of town he lived, here are a few reasons why Dan should try riding:
- WYPR’s studio is on the 2200 block of Charles St. Sure, cyclists either love or hate Charles St, but there will be (and pretty much is already) a bike boulevard 3 blocks over on Guilford and heavily biked Maryland Ave out the back door. Take 22nd west and 23rd east to get the studio no problem.
- Dan can bring his bike inside. There was room for Fern & I to park our bikes just inside the front lobby
- WYPR HAS A SHOWER!!!! The shower’s in a private unisex bathroom so anyone can use. If that isn’t reason enough, I don’t know what is.
- Dan’s on the radio so people can’t see what he’s wearing, or if he’s sweating from the ride or wet from the rain. He could be wearing pink fluffy bunny pajamas on the air and no one would be the wiser. An avid cyclist, Rod Daniels of WBAL wears lycra biking shorts while on the air during the summer. We just can’t see his full attire when he’s sitting behind the desk.
- No Dan wasn’t wearing pajamas on Tuesday. He was respectfully dressed in jeans, button down, tie & jacket. He could leave a set of ties and jackets at the office (and maybe a few shirts) and just wear the jeans and t-shirt on his ride in.
- Take a spin on a Saturday morning when there isn’t as much traffic. I can help plan your route and guide your ride. Get some friends to join us and make biking the social thing that it is. Try it, you just might like it! You might even be tempted to register for Bike To Work Day or Bike Month
So what’dya say? Wanna go for a bike ride? It’s not just for yuppies ya know.
Thanks to WYPR for the bikesposure and for being a bike-friendly studio!